Nov 29, 2009

Fighting Myself

Oh, what have things come to; am I really that desperate for a game that I will resort to fighting myself? Can this actually teach me anything valuable, or am I just wasting my time?

Sure, we all have an inherent comfort zone that we develop with our army as we become used to the way that it plays, but is that comfort zone a hindrance? As I explore some of the more vague concepts of Warhammer 40,000, I have begun to wonder, as any person might who plays another game, if there are lessons to be learned from playing against yourself.

First of all, being your own opponent, you should have great tactical insight into what your opponent will be attempting. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that you will know what the 'other guy' intends to do during the game pretty much at all instances. With this much knowledge and degree of prophetic vision surely you should be able to defeat the 'other guy' no problem. What you forget is that the 'other guy' too has the same knowledge of you. This perhaps is the ultimate culmination of the know complex, taking you as deep as you want to go.

What strategies can we learn from fighting ourselves? In my case I intend to take both my Eldar and Imperial Guard and have them face off against each other soon enough, several times even. The goal here is to find weaknesses in your choices as a player. Now, choices, that is a key word because I'm not talking about the choices you make when building your list, but rather in game choices that must be made on the fly under good tactical reasoning. Is there some way that I can use my forces to find holes in the strategy my armies are using? Can I fix them without changing the list?

We'll find out in my little experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP