Oct 18, 2009

Imperial Guard - Reinforcements

I'm quite happy with the progress I'm making with Guard and I feel that I'm quickly getting an understanding of the army and how to get it to accomplish what I want it to accomplish. With that being said, I have some reinforcements on the way.

I have to say Valkyries are a really, really annoying unit. With so many ways to enter the battle, and the ability to move so quickly once there is an incredible asset to the Guard. You can even do a one two punch using grav chute insertion over an objective, and boost to the next. Something very tricky and nasty indeed.

I feel that in games where you can spare the points, the Astropath is a valuable asset, giving you flexibility with your Valkyries if they are outflanking, in reserve, or just deep striking.

The only thing that I really feel is off with the Valkyrie is if this is what the Valkyrie is capable of, I'm feeling fearful for what the Dark Eldar transports are going to be able to do in the future, if they will ever actually get a new Codex...

With that said, the Valkyrie really can do the "Eldar Thing" a lot better than the Eldar can.

I've been asked to share my opinion on the Leman Russ tank variants. I'm not a fan of the Punisher, even if you get it upgraded to BS 4 (and really are you going to pay the extra 50 points to do that?). It's just too short range, one trick pony with a nice rapid fire gun that is still liable to missing and still will wound mostly on 3+. That's still not taking into account armor saves and the like, and it's a AP - gun.

It's not even suited to killing vehicle squadrons with any degree of reliability. The one use I can see for it is not hunting infantry, but bringing to bear all those S5 shots against smaller units like Tau Battlesuits, or maybe even monstrous creatures. Knight Commander Pask is especially useful for the latter for providing a re-roll of all failed wounds.

I'd rather take something that can lay down a template, or multiple templates, get some hits and be more or less guaranteed to cause some casualties when it connects - and have the added versatility of being able to choose multiple targets and remain a viable threat to them. I think this is why I love the Executioner. I do wish there was a "Mega" VDR version of the Nova Cannon, but that would be insanely broken.

My other standby besides the Executioner really is the vanilla Leman Russ.

I've also got another couple squads coming, so we'll see how it all works out.

2 Comments:

Ricalope October 19, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

On the subject of russes (I have a few), I would have to say that my regular leman russ has so far been the most useful under the new codex. It is followed closely by the executioner, you can't argue with move-and-shoot plasma. But for my points I would always rather an exterminator than a punisher. Higher strength, for those low armor vehicles, and dishing 16 rounds of anti-infantry a round, most with str 5+ and AP 4.

Just my opinion...

Col. Corbane October 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

I second that, the executioner is excellent, but nothing beats the standard russ.

On Valks, I read on GW's blog that one table at the GT this weekend had 18 Valks on it, so there's a lot of love out there for them.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP