Sep 7, 2009

Guard - What's Next?

Well, I've gotten to try out my Guard, and although I'm just learning the ins and outs of the army I'm fairly certain of what I'm doing. I'm trying to avoid any of my preconceptions about the army and at least for now ignoring the advice of some of the existing Imperial Guard generals. Not that I don't think their words are valuable, but I do think that I owe it to myself to figure some things out for myself - those tiny little subtleties that can make all the difference in a game.

Let me take you back to when I first started this hobby, many many years ago I purchased a small Wood Elf army for fantasy second hand before I started playing 40K. Now back then the major preconceptions about the army for me was that it was a very shooty army. After all, looking into all of the fluff as covered under the books and media out at the time seemed to show just what great shots Wood Elves are. See, that's really only part of the story with the army, or at least to how it evolved.


I quickly learned that I couldn't play the Wood Elves like how other people were playing their armies of other races, it just wouldn't work out. You can't rank and file your troops, nor can you just sit back and shoot. It requires a certain subtlety of movement. Oddly enough the lessons learned from my first experience with Warhammer continue to echo through to today.

I've been playing Eldar for nearly 11 years. Am I the best? Probably not, but I do think I know what I'm doing. With Guard, I've played them for 1 game. Am I the best? Certainly not, but I do have a goal in mind. The question is, can I take the lessons learned from my Eldar and translate them into the Guard. That is my goal - come up with an army that has a unique style about it, using everything I already know. Sounds simple, yes?

Enough on my thoughts on my Guard. Now comes one last question. I know this is an Eldar blog, and some people come here to read about Eldar. I feel that I need to separate my Imperial Guard stuff from my Eldar stuff. I'm thinking about starting up another blog for the Guard. We'll see what happens. What do you guys think?

3 Comments:

bG September 8, 2009 at 6:24 AM  

Two options really, either start up a second blog as I've done for my guard, or look into setting up a second section to your existing blog that deals solely with the guard (technically more difficult I believe). Or you can stick with a single blog and make sure you lable up all the guard posts and all the eldar posts religiously so that folk can easily access the sides of the content that they want to get at.

The Lord of Excess October 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

What did you end up doing did you ever start up a second blog. I myself am planning a guard army (I have something on the order of 5000 points sitting the closet). I'm one of those nuts that does 2 or 3 armies at the same time though ... so Orks and Bugs and Guard are all on my plate kinda at the same time. Orks first but I'm going to roll right into guard and then hopefully bugs. Anyway any observations from an experienced WHFB/40K player who is starting in on a guard army for the first time would be very useful for me ... great blog thanks!!

Akenseth October 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

I haven't made a separate blog mostly because I'm all wrapped up in the Aftermath Campaign. http://aftermath-sector.com

I'm going to be posting some observations on the Guard soon in a whole new post to talk about my thoughts.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP