Jul 28, 2009

Brightlances

The more games I play the more I feel I don't really need these in my normal games. Brightlances were going into my list for a while because some of the players "threatened" to start rolling out with AV 14. So I thought it would be good to start putting them into my list so I could get some practice in with them before those vehicles hit the table.

As it turns out that "threat" of AV 14 armor just hasn't been prevalent so I'm deciding to drop the Bright lances until I actually see some AV 14 come on the tables for a few weeks. Then maybe I'll add them back. Right now they're not doing anything, so I might as well put out some scatter lasers or missile launchers, which should free up some more points...

I'm going to work out my list sans-lances to see what I can come up with.

4 Comments:

Rkik July 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

I have given up on Bright Lances on all platforms except the Wraithlord.

The only other platform where they are remotely accurate is on a Wave Serpent, and even there they don't do nearly enough damage to justify the cost. I'd much rather be moving around with the Serpent and not shooting. So I end up with mixed intentions if I put the lances on the Serpent.

Fire Dragons, Wraithlords, and Seer Councils can deal with AV14. Serpents and such should be putting things into place to deal with what pops out.

Raptor1313 July 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

I gotta say I'm still a proponent of Lances.

S6 gunfire we have aplenty, and can get from many places. S6 is fine for popping Ork Trukks and massed Rhinos.

But, if the enemy brings something else? Without lances or missile launchers, you're relying solely on your Fire Dragons and Seer Councils. If it's AV13/14 (or, if you've left missile launchers at home, even AV12) then you've got to spend a couple turns setting up shots from your 1-2 units of Fire Dragons or single (maybe double, if you're nuts) Seer council. By virtue of having that, the Seer Council MUST deal with it if you're going to deal with it. I don't count assaulting armor with Wraithlords as a timely way of killing armor. They can do it, yes, but they also have their own problems getting there.

I run usually 3-4 bright lance Wave Serpents just to be able to threaten armor at range. I also run two units of Fire Dragons, and have experimented with double-shuriken-cannon Falcons (as opposed to EML falcons for 3x S8 shots).

I think cutting lances out gimps the army a bit, in terms of capabilities.

Akenseth July 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM  

It's not that I don't think lances are good at what they do, it's just that nobody I play with seems to be taking anything worth using a lance on instead of a missile. Really I'm over paying for some S8 shots that I can get elsewhere for cheaper.

I will probably keep the lances for Apocalypse though, as there are plenty of targets there that need killing at AV 14.

The_King_Elessar July 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM  

That's fair, if you don't need them locally.

I need them, though - even for Rhinos, I'd rather have 1 S8 75% hit, than 3 S6 75% hits...plus I routinely face 3 Predators.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP