Jun 16, 2009

What Craftworld Am I?

I notice that more and more as time goes on my army evolves. Now, I'm not talking about tactics or anything along those lines, just simply what my army is made of in terms of fluff. This was especially evident when playing the Apocalypse game yesterday. My army reverted more within the lines of a Biel-Tan army I used to play years ago when we were playing with 3rd Edition rules. Apocalypse is great for just playing with whatever; after all, it doesn't have to make sense why Necrons, Orks, Tyranids, and Chaos are attacking one place with the same goal in mind - killing the inhabitants, as it was with our last huge game.

I've talked about Exodite forces and how I don't think that they would be able to defend their worlds on their own without Craftworld support against the dangers of the 41st millennium, so for me it seems only natural that some elements of the Craftworld forces would be in a game, small to Apocalypse size. All of this has left me wondering but one thing that is missing from my force: What Craftworld Am I?

Now, I know what you are thinking "Just make up your own Craftworld" seems fairly straight forward and certainly the most creative, I thought, why not look into some of what the major Craftworlds contribute to Exodite society.

The two most prominant are Biel-Tan and Alaitoc.

Biel-Tan : Without a doubt this is the most militaristic, straight up head to head fighting Craftworld out there. Biel-Tan beleives that the Exodite worlds are key to forging a new Eldar Empire and they fight furiously to protect those worlds and repel invaders. Obviously Biel-Tan stands out in terms of a Craftworld you would find helping the Exodites.

Alaitoc : The Outcasts of Alaitoc visit everywhere the webway can take them, and this extends even to Exodite worlds. If I'm not mistaken, Eldar ranger gear is also based upon the gear that the Exodites themselves use, and the Rangers trade and find company with the Exodites. Alaitoc forces would aid their cousins having heard word from the Rangers.

Of cource, these are only the most obvious choices. Surely any Craftworld would come to aid the Exodites.

So what Craftworld am I? Well, having started this army months ago now with not an idea even thinking about Craftworlds, I feel that in a way, I may have painted myself into the proverbial corner. My scheme matches nothing in terms of what is out there as far as official Craftworlds go. I think the closest Craftworld would be Il-Kaithe as far as colors go, but even that is off, and not to mention Il-Kaithe sits close to the Eye of Terror. Though really, close is a primitive term for those races that don't have access to a webway that can be used to travel the galaxy in the blink of an eye.

So it seems that I need to develop a Craftworld all it's own and figure out all the details. Time to move this into a side project I hope to keep writing about here on the blog over the next little while. I may even move into painting up and assembling some more traditional Eldar units. More to come on this subject.















5 Comments:

KBelleau June 16, 2009 at 2:07 AM  

What craftworld are you? You don't need to be one. But if you are using a council on bikes (or mounts), then I would say you're Saim-hann. If you're using lots of bikes and Vypers... you're Saim-hann. If you're going by fluff then Saim-hann are the closest to the Exodites culturally. Biel-tann are like "guardians" of the maiden worlds. Alaitoc are like wanderers amongst the Exodite worlds.

but that is my take on the eldar relationships (dark, craft, exodite).

Sidestreaker June 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM  

hmm, yeah, why not consider saim hann? They are as KBelleau said, after all closes to the Exodite in terms of culture and being the first craftworld to split. I reckon they'll click with their fellow exodite buddies.

I was somewhat into the exodite fluff just to spice up my craftworld theme in the early stage of the hobby and it just feel right.

Sidestreaker June 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Akenseth June 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

Thematically, I feel that Exodites do play like Saim-Hann, but I've already got my army painted (for the most part), so I'm trying to come up with an idea of what Craftworld it is that is helping my particular Exodites with the color scheme that I already have.

KBelleau June 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

Well, the three I mentioned would all come to aid a exodite world. But if you're looking to break things up in your painting, why not have different craftworlds helping. Like jetbikes painted in Saim-hann, aspect warriors painted in biel-tan, etc....

Or keep with your current scheme and put the craftworld runes on the warriors that are "on loan" from the craftworlds.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP