Jun 3, 2009

Clear Magnetic Flying Stands


So, I've been working on my Vypers, and I decided to do this. I've seen a couple of examples of magnetic flying stands before, but I have yet to see one that has a clear stem. For some reason I've always found that aspect of magnetic stands to bother me for whatever reason. This is my solution.



You will need:

- Flying Stand
- Clear Plastic Pen
- Glue
- Magnets, one large enough to sit on top of the pen, and one to go in the model
- Pin Vice and drill bit
- Saw



Here is the bottom of the flying stand, and the a BIC clear pen. These ones are crystal clear, and not translucent at all, which is why I chose them for this project.


First, cut your pen to the desired length using the saw, making sure you make good square cuts so that the stem will be level. The piece you cut off will be the stem of your new flying stand.


Glue your new stem to your flying base. Simple really - I reccomend using a clear drying glue.


Glue on a magnet that is wide enough to fit on top of the stand.


Drill a hole in the model where the flying stem goes, and place a smaller magnet inside. The reason I'm using a magnet here instead of a screw is so that I can fill it in later and make it flush.


Last step! Place your model on the stand, as shown in the clip below.








3 Comments:

Guillius June 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

Wow, really like the idea. I currently use one of those techniques that will leave me with non-clear flying stands but the technique left me able to undo the work and try other things. May give this a try in the future. Again, great idea IMO.

KBelleau June 4, 2009 at 6:43 AM  

Awesome tutorial, great use of the empty pen. I may use this, I normally don't bother using magnet for my vypers and such. I like this.

Akenseth June 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

Thanks guys. Give it a go, it's not very expensive or time consuming! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP