Apr 20, 2009

Eldar Weapons


What do a Warwalker, Vyper, and Waveserpent have in common? Aside from being Eldar vehicles, they all use the same weaponry! For the purposes of this post, I'm talking about the following weapons: Eldar Missile Launcher, Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Bright Lance, and the Star Cannon.

What are your favorites? What do you think works best on what vehicle? What is working for you? If you fight Eldar, what do you hate to see an Eldar player take? Leave a comment and we can get some discussion going!

If you've been reading my previous posts, you'll know that I'm a fan of Star Cannons on Vypers, where they can use their speed to get around the dreaded 5th Edition cover save. I really like Scatter Lasers and EML on War Walkers where they tend to be slower, and shere number of wounds is better than cutting armor. On the Wave Serpent, I rarely take anything other than the standard Shuriken Cannons, instead using extra points for vehicle upgrades.

There is also one little trick I'd like to share, although most people probably already know about it. If you use an EML to fire plasma missiles, it's a defensive weapon, so you can upgrade to a shuriken cannon on some vehicles like Wave Serpents, Falcons and Vypers so you can fire both the cannon and plasma missiles while moving 12". Then if you need that light vehicle piercing shot, you can switch out for the Krak missile on the fly.

6 Comments:

The 25mm Warrior April 20, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

Well I'm a newbie to Warhammer 40k respectively. I usually play against Sisters or Imps however those are some fantastic looking models. Great layout to your page too... very sharp presentation.

Dave D. April 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

My Eldar army is starting out small. Basically what I can get cheap (ie: REALLY cheap) on ebay. So far I have 2 of the old metal Wraithlords one with Shuriken cannon and the other with a starcannon. Can't wait to have enough one day to fight, but I'm curious as to what others think of those 2 weapons on wraithlords.

Akenseth April 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

If you're looking to go cheap on points, then the Shuriken Cannon is probably the way to go. Try using two flamers and getting your wraithlord up close to lay down those templates while using the shuriken cannon will give you some decent mid ranged firepower.

Star cannons have been severely reduced in power since 5th edition, but I wouldn't count it out since the Wraithlord has BS 4. You'll want to target things with good saves, and use the height of the model to loom over interveining terrain so you can deny the cover saves whenever possible.

Faolain April 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

I magnetize my weapons so I can switch them out easily. For War Walkers, I use double scatter lasers as they can outflank and pop that AV10 rear armor. For Wave Serpents, I give it the opposite type weapon that the troops inside are carrying. For example, if it's carrying Fire Dragons, I equip the Serpent with anti-personnel. As for Wraithlords, I am a fan of bright lances as their BS4 makes them more reliable.

Akenseth April 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

I have to agree there; brightlances are much more effective on Wraithlords. Do you Twin them, or just use one?

Max Mead,  November 16, 2010 at 1:43 AM  

Personally I use one and the other option for a star cannon or scatter laser when fielding a wraith lord. As for the war walkers I mix it up quite a bit considering I usually field a full squad but all have at least one bright lance or eldar missile launcher.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP